Enough light to see the path; enough courage to take the step; enough sense to enjoy the walk; enough company to share the time.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Affection As Prayer



There is a question in your hands:
though their touch on my skin
slides smooth and gentle,
I feel them tug at the hem of my heart,
         anxious, needing, hopeful.
They remind me of a little boy
who kisses the part of my arm he can reach
because of how much he wants my love,
the mercy of acceptance,
forbearance to frown at imperfections
         (the forgiveness of sin.)



4 comments:

  1. This has GOT to be one of my favorite poems yet! I can't stop reading it. I've got 3 little boys (and one little girl) and their love, hugs, tugs, needing, and innocence evoke such love and emotion out of me that there are no words to explain it. The way you include that feeling within the words of this piece is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me thinks a book can't be far behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me agrees, Thom, me agrees with thee.

      Delete
    2. "Methinks there be not impossibilities enough …" (a shameless cannibalization of Thomas Browne, Sr.)

      At the rate I'm going, we shall all be old and grey. But if you stick around long enough, I WILL toast you both with whatsoever libation you choose!

      Delete

I'm grateful that you are taking the time to comment, and I look forward to reading what you have to say!